Serves 10 (One serving has 360 kcal, 7 g protein, 39 g carbohydrates, 22 g fat (1 g omega-6), Vitamins B12, B2, B5, B6, A, D, folate and minerals - calcium, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, zinc)
For cake layers:
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 g/ 3 ½ oz/ 1/3 cup butter (melted)
400 g/ 14 oz/ 1 can condensed milk
150 g/ 5 ½ oz/ 1 1/4 cups plain (all-purpose) flour, sieved (strained)
2 tsp baking powder
600 ml/ 1 pint/ 2 cups sour cream
74 g/ 2 ¾ oz/ 1/3 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and the egg yolk with vanilla extract until pale and fluffy. Add the melted butter and condensed milk, stir well. Stir in the flour and baking powder, mix well.
- Place sheets of parchment paper on baking sheets and trace circle around a cake pan.
- Spoon 3 tbsp of batter into each circle and spread out thin until circle is filled- like a giant pancake- past the lines you traced.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4, for about 7 minutes one layer, until lightly golden.
- Slide layers off sheet by pulling parchment paper onto a cool counter and allow layers to cool.
- Repeat this until you have 5-7 layers.
- Using a cake pan, cut each layer into a circle and pull away excess cake from edges (save this in a separate bowl). Gently peel away parchment paper from bottom of each layer as you assemble the cake.
- Put excess cake edges into a food processor and chop into fine crumbs.
- In another bowl whisk the soured cream and sugar until they stand in soft peaks.
Assembling the cake: